Master Gardener Program
Have a Master Gardener speak to your club or organization. Submit a request today!
Topics of Interest
In the News
UCCE Master Gardener Program Mission Statement
Extend research based knowledge and information on home horticulture, pest management, and sustainable landscape practices to the residents of California and be guided by our core values and strategic initiatives.
January Gardening Chores
It's time to...
- Keep an eye on the weather report - protect frost-tender plants when the temperature falls below 32 degrees
- Prune plum, pluot, apple, and pear trees 15-20%; cherries 10%; and peaches 50%
- Fertilize roses when new growth appears
- Apply neem oil or potassium bicarbonate to roses to control black spot, mildew and rust
- Plant your bare-root roses
- Plant seeds for cabbage, chard, broccoli, cauliflower, and spring lettuce in a cold frame or in the greenhouse
- Cover crops like Fava beans can be planted if not planted earlier